This episode of the SayTheDamnScore Podcast is one of the best! I chat with Ian Eagle, the TV voice of the Brooklyn Nets and the number two network football broadcaster for CBS. We talk about a wide variety of broadcast topics including:
- Why was going to the Syracuse broadcast factory the right college decision for his career?
- How tough is it to get live reps at the Newhouse School?
- The influence of Marv Albert and Bob Costas on his development.
- Working his personality and humor into a broadcast in an effective manner.
- What he learned from a moment when an inside joke between him and Mike Fratello went wrong.
- Getting his first job as a producer at legendary sports station WFAN in New York despite being told he would never be on the air.
- How he eventually got on the air anyway.
- How he was able to get the New Jersey, now Brooklyn Nets job at a young age.
- How being in the right place at the right time helped him get his network job with CBS.
- Learning how to broadcast boxing and the value of saying yes to opportunities.
- How to improve your TV call as a radio broadcaster.
- How much prep does he do and how much is provided for him.
- How does he smoothly transition from one sport to another.
- Roasting Bill Raftery for the pre-speech before he was inducted into the NSMA Broadcasting Hall of Fame.
- Being the voice of the rebooted NBA Jam and what goes into being the play-by-play voice of a video game.
And much more!