Eric Little guest hosts and visits with Jay Burnham who broadcasts for UMass and VCU. He also spent 16 years as an MiLB broadcaster. Topics of discussion include:
- Eric Little introduces himself and says nice things about the SayTheDamnScore Podcast.
- He introduces Jay Burnham and discusses the importance of his wife in his sportscasting journey.
- The weird parts of bringing football back this fall.
- How the birth of streaming and cold call emails helped him to get involved in the sportscasting business.
- Paying his dues by working in baseball without getting any broadcasting reps.
- Why you shouldn’t expect a meteoric rise through the business.
- The difficulty of making the jump from independent ball to affiliated ball.
- Building rapport with broadcasters in a competitive situation.
- Balancing improving as a broadcaster with being a team player for your employer.
- How to steal from other broadcasters while staying authentic.
- Being your own harshest critic.
- The difficulty of networking and why making friends is more important than just about anything else.
- The value of being diverse in your ability to call many sports.
- What do listeners actually care about?
- When to say the score on TV and streaming.
- The difficulty of transitioning between radio and TV.
- Being unique and reading haiku’s at the end of his games.
- His favorite craft beer cities.
- His broadcast horror stories.
Never miss a new SayTheDamnScore.com post by signing up for email updates
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS