My conversation with one of the top radio producers in the country. Larry Costigan was formerly the coordinating producer for Westwood One Sports and is currently a freelance producer and editorial consultant for CBS. Topics of discussion include:
- How an internship at Seton Hall started his professional career.
- Making the decision to pursue a career behind the scenes instead of on the mic.
- Fusing creativity into his producing style.
- How to be organized during a chaotic and unpredictable live sporting event.
- Who decides what storylines are discussed during a game on national radio.
- What happens in a Westwood One production meeting.
- The biggest adjustment moving from radio to TV in a behind the scenes roll.
- Climbing the ladder from intern to coordinating producer.
- The things about sports broadcasting that bring joy to his life.
- Dealing with and bouncing back from being laid off during the Covid 19 shutdown.
- What broadcasters can do to work smoothly with producers.
- Adapting his production to fit announcer strengths.
- Announcer traits that are frustrating to work with as a producer.
- Producing golf on the radio, particularly at The Masters.
- His favorite broadcast horror story from his career.
Sign up for online updates today!