EP 082 Chad Abbot
Episode 82 features Chad Abbott the Program Director for KFAN in Minneapolis. He has developed one of the strongest sports radio brand in the country by hiring, training, and maintaining some of the best sports radio talent around. Topics of discussion include:
- How sneaking a portable radio into class in high school led to catching the radio bug.
- How an internship in college helped him get a foot in the door at KFAN as a college transfer student.
- How never saying no helped him climb the ladder at KFAN.
- How the skills of a good sports talk producer have changed dramatically over the years.
- When and why he decided he was better off behind the scenes as opposed to hosting a show.
- Working with the uniquely talented Paul Allen.
- Developing his ear for unique talent that resonates with listeners.
- Dealing with egos in the sports radio business.
- Allowing his talent to make fun of him on the air.
- The role of play-by-play rights in developing a great sports radio brand.
- What catches his attention from up and coming broadcasters.
- The most overrated thing to spotlight when reaching out to a PD.
- Recreating the Fenway Park Green Monster in his back yard.
- Moonlighting as an assistant football coach at an area high school.
- His experience flying in a National Guard Blackhawk Helicopter.
- Being the one to discover that one of the contributors to his show had passed away.
- Making hard decisions as a PD.
- Keeping up with the changing technology of the radio business.
- Policing or not policing talent on social media.
- Building one of the largest ratings shares for sports radio in the entire country.
- How they are or aren’t affected by the bankruptcy of their parent company iHeartRadio.
- Transitioning from an AM to an FM signal in 2011.
- Being the bridge between talent and sales.
- His industry horror stories.
- His favorite broadcasters to listen to.
Sign up for STAA
Never miss a new SayTheDamnScore.com post by signing up for email updates
Get expert feedback on your play-by-play from the SayTheDamnScore Critique Crew!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS