EP 061: Lane Grindle, Milwaukee Brewers
In this episode I chat with Lane Grindle, the number three man in the Milwaukee Brewers booth. He grew up less than an hour away from my own hometown and I really enjoyed this conversation. Topics of discussion include:
- The value of gaining practical experience while in college.
- Cutting his teeth in a small market.
- Why backing out on a commitment to play football led him towards a career in radio.
- How a conversation with an SID helped him learn to lay off the officials during his broadcasts.
- The difficulty of being edgy as a talk show host in a small market.
- Overcoming being from a small town in the middle of rural America.
- How interning for Kevin Kugler helped him stumble into a job covering one of the most popular teams in all of college football.
- Craziest fan calls he received while hosting Husker Sports Nightly.
- Turning down jobs to stay in Lincoln with the hope of someday being the voice of the Huskers.
- Learning he would fill in as the play-by-play broadcaster of a Nebraska game with only 90 minutes notice.
- Having another broadcaster with similar talent and ambition in Jeff Culhane to push each other as young broadcasters.
- The process that led him to getting his current job in Major League Baseball with the Milwaukee Brewers.
- The uniqueness of his path doing college baseball instead of spending time in the minors.
- How his relationship with Kevin Kugler helped him advance through the business.
- He shares what it’s like working with broadcast legend Bob Uecker.
- Broadcast horror stories from his career.
- What he meant when he said broadcasters are like the Bob Ross of sports.
- Favorite broadcasters to listen to on a night off.
And much more!
Get expert feedback on your play-by-play from the SayTheDamnScore Critique Crew!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS