In this episode I visit with Robb Hipp, the voice of Sam Houston State. He has a long and winding path and has succeeded in the business without a traditional broadcasting education. Topics of discussion include:
- Why he was a late bloomer getting into radio and all of the unique jobs he had before finding his passion.
- How always looking for open doors and some scary medical advice helped him move into broadcasting.
- How a chance meeting at a bar with San Antonio Spurs play-by-play man Bill Schoening influenced his career.
- Naming his first sports business on a restaurant napkin.
- Developing the idea for “Broadcast in a Box.”
- Starting his own online radio station.
- His thoughts on the future of terrestrial radio.
- Finding the content to fill your own online radio station.
- Developing a sales package and ad traffic system.
- Learning how to promote, market, and build an audience.
- Landing a D1 position with Sam Houston State.
- How he made his resume stand out from the crowd.
- Keys to organizing his time.
- Knowing the time to pivot and take a risk.
- Learning when to say no to opportunities.
- A health scare that led to healthy eating habits and a lifestyle change.
- Keeping a healthy relationship with his significant other with his crazy schedule.
Never miss a new SayTheDamnScore.com post by signing up for email updates
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS