EP 071 Greg Sharpe Nebraska Cornhuskers
Episode 71 features the voice of the Nebraska Cornhuskers, Greg Sharpe. As a Nebraska native, Greg is one of my personal favorite broadcasters to listen to and am excited to share his story on the pod! Topics of discussion include:
- Another example of a successful sportscaster knowing exactly what he wanted to do at a young age.
- Getting on the air for the first time as a college student.
- Calling a high school game as a college student featuring the great Barry Sanders.
- How being a spotter for Mitch Holthus and playing country music helped him climb the professional ladder.
- The importance of the mentorship of Kevin Harlan and Mitch Holthus as he grew in the business.
- The advice he would give his daughters if they wanted to get into sportscasting.
- The break that led to him getting his first major play-by-play job for the Kansas State Wildcats.
- Calling K-State during the golden age of Wildcat athletics.
- Losing the K-State play-by-play position because of a rights change.
- Getting over the hurt feelings of a rights change.
- What he did during the six years in the desert between Major College jobs.
- The series of events that led to become the voice of the Nebraska Cornhuskers.
- Replacing a personal friend and avoiding hard feelings.
- How Nebraska improving as he started his first full season made the transition easier.
- Interviewing Bo Pelini, a fiery coach, after losses.
- Dealing with a challenging situation when Bo Pelini was unknowingly recorded saying unflattering things about the fan base.
- Switching broadcast loyalties from your alma mater to a conference rival.
- Leaving a broadcast after pregame to drive to Lincoln for the birth of his third child.
- Dealing with a three man booth in radio and the failing health Adrian Fiala, a beloved Nebraska Analyst.
- Reeling in an opinionated color analyst.
- Being confused for another area sportscaster Gary Sharp.
- His broadcast horror stories.
- What he still does to improve as a broadcaster.
And much more!
Never miss a new SayTheDamnScore.com post by signing up for email updates
Get expert feedback on your play-by-play from the SayTheDamnScore Critique Crew!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
[…] Hear the entire podcast here […]