This episode is brought to you by SportscastingSource.com. Get 10% off of the Jay Sanderson Scorebook and Down Dial before the start of football season by using the promo code “score.” I personally use both items and love them!
This episode features the radio voice of the Oklahoma Sooner, Toby Rowland. Topics of discussion include:
- We wax poetic about the Nebraska vs Oklahoma rivalry.
- Why a pivotal conversation with his father led him to changing from an accounting major to sportscasting in college.
- Making the most of a small college education without a sportscasting program.
- How listening to great broadcasters helped him avoid bad habits at the beginning of his career.
- What he told Joe Castiglione, the AD at Oklahoma, to get the job over many industry heavyweights.
- How a podcast with Vin Scully helped him learn how to tune out critics and trolls.
- The surprising advice that legendary OU broadcaster Bob Barry gave him after he retired.
- The importance of being likeable.
- The moment that the job truly felt like his.
- Getting his first break in the business as a television reporter.
- How he kept his play-by-play sharp while being a TV reporter.
- Becoming part of the OU broadcast team as a sideline reporter.
- How to come up with good questions for the notoriously prickly Bob Stoops.
- Climbing the ladder without ever leaving the Oklahoma City market.
- What he would be doing if he hadn’t made it in sportscasting.
- Why he gives away his spotting boards after every game.
- How an employer blocking him from taking a job as sideline broadcaster for the OKC Thunder ended up being a blessing in disguise.
- Strange callers on his call in show.
- How he came up with the catch phrase “Oh Mama.”
- His broadcast horror stories.
- He walks us through his prep process.
- What he does to continue to improve as a broadcaster.
- Who his favorite broadcasters to listen to are.
And much more!