My conversation with Tom Leach, the radio voice of University of Kentucky football and basketball. Topics of discussion include:
- What he’s doing to get through the days during the pandemic.
- How he gets through his daily talk show without any sports.
- Setting his goal to one day be the voice of the Wildcats as an 8th grader.
- The potentially obvious choice of attending the University of Kentucky for journalism school.
- The influence of other legendary Kentucky broadcasters on his career.
- The specific influence of long time Kentucky voice Cawood Ledford and why he’s saved his critique to this day.
- Why he still has the cassette tape of his very first broadcast as a high school junior.
- His moment of reckoning where he realized he needed to step up his game to reach his goals.
- How turning down a good position as the voice of a high school team ended up being a blessing in disguise.
- Getting a foot in the door as the pre/half/post game host at UK and how he rose through the ranks at that point.
- The moments where he pinches himself and realizing how fortunate he is.
- How “The Monotony of Greatness” led to developing his own personal philosophy.
- Developing a document to help him quickly reference records and other statistical curiosities quickly during a broadcast.
- The unique challenges of covering horse racing.
- The keys to nailing big moments.
- His broadcast horror stories.
- His favorite broadcasters to listen to during an off night.
Never miss a new SayTheDamnScore.com post by signing up for email updates
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS