Episode 78 features Cory Provus, the radio voice of the Minnesota Twins. Topics of discussion include:
EP 078 Cory Provus Minnesota Twins
- What he does in the weeks immediately following a grueling season.
- Making a marriage work in this business.
- Consciously trying to make up for being gone during his time off.
- How the Chicago Cubs and Harry Carey influenced his decision to go into sportscasting.
- Seeing his cousin, voice of the Dallas Cowboys, Brad Sham calling games growing up.
- The influence of classic Chicago broadcasters on his career.
- How he uses his ability to process information visually to memorize things.
- Why going to Syracuse directly led to him getting his first broadcasting job.
- The one negative of going to college at Syracuse.
- Why the access to equipment at Syracuse helps to make a great demo tape.
- Bill Roth’s influence on his career.
- Why and how he always challenges himself to be more descriptive on the radio.
- Dealing with rejection and disappointment.
- Getting his first MLB break doing one inning during each game and the challenge of nailing the opportunity.
- The eerily similar paths followed by him and his good friend Pat Hughes of the Chicago Cubs.
- Adding personality to a broadcast.
- Moving from Chicago to Milwaukee to take a job with the Brewers.
- Making Major League references to Bob Uecker.
- Reaching MLB without toiling for years in the minor leagues.
- The events leading to becoming the voice of the Minnesota Twins, including a death threat from Bob Ueker.
- When did he hire an agent.
- His favorite broadcast horror stories.
- What he still does to improve as a broadcaster.
- Keeping it interesting while covering a losing team.
- Dealing with bad umpiring.
And much more!