EP 050: Dave Hunziker, Oklahoma State
In this episode I visit with the voice of the Oklahoma State Cowboys, Dave Hunziker. We discuss a wide range of topics including:
- Recording ads and promos in his closet at home.
- What he does during his bye week.
- The difficult situation of following popular broadcaster Bill Teegins after he passed away in a tragic airplane crash.
- How he balances family and work life.
- Doing PA for local slow pitch softball tournaments at the age of ten.
- His path from small town radio, to small NCAA DI, to Oklahoma State.
- How a connection with current Atlanta Falcons broadcaster Wes Durham helped him land his first DI job.
- The things he did to build networking connections.
- Why he almost turned down the Oklahoma State job and who talked him out of turning it down.
- How he got into teaching sportscasting.
- How he learned the hard way to not criticize officials.
- How he reacted to the “I’m a man, I’m 40” rant by Mike Gundy.
- The difficulty of broadcasting a super high tempo offense.
- NFL player Russell Okung stealing candy from his broadcast booth.
- Blowing a big call while Bob Carpenter was sitting in the booth.
- How he came up with his signature phrases “Pistols Firing” and “Goodnight Vienna.”
- Who are his favorite broadcasters to listen to on an off day.
- What he does to this day to improve as a broadcaster.
And much more!
Never miss a new SayTheDamnScore.com post by signing up for email updates
Get expert feedback on your play-by-play from the SayTheDamnScore Critique Crew!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS