In this episode we visit with John Sadak of Westwood One and CBS Sports. Topics of discussion include:
- Switching his focus from pursuing a degree in astrophysics to broadcasting.
- Drawing lines to balance work and family life.
- The difficulty of giving up a great MiLB position because of six words his daughter said.
- The early breaks that helped him start his career.
- Plotting his career arc and saving all of his old rejection letters.
- How a friends business failure led to his first big break covering Princeton in the Ivy League.
- Stories of travel on icy roads in the northeast.
- Calling games to an Ivy League audience.
- How he reached the network level.
- Calling the Penn State vs Nebraska football game during the Jerry Sandusky scandal.
- The feedback system at Westwood One.
- The influence of Howie Rose growing up and finding mentors in the business.
- Feeling insecure about his craft despite reaching an extremely high level.
- How does the city of Scranton feel about “The Office.”
- His broadcast horror stories.
- His favorite broadcasters to listen to on an off day.
And much more!