Episode 74 features a conversation with Traug Keller, a Senior Vice President at ESPN. Topics of discussion include:
- How delivering newspapers became his entrance to the media business.
- The value of a liberal arts education.
- How a psychology background helps him to lead employees.
- How not having a job led to him getting into media sales.
- Learning to recognize great content despite never having been on the air.
- Turning down advice to go to grad school to get from print to radio.
- The importance in having sales knowledge when he makes new on-air hires.
- Why the timing of his career jump to ESPN happened at the most exciting and interesting time possible.
- The future of terrestrial radio.
- The first time he heard the word podcast and ESPN’s early adoption of the medium.
- Why he thinks it’s harder to get into the audio business then it was in the past.
- Why many local radio markets are thriving.
- His broadcast horror story of having a cow in the studio during a Mike and Mike show.
- Hiring the smartest people he can and getting out of the way.
- His favorite Non-ESPN podcasts to listen to.
- His experience working with the great Paul Harvey.
- Paul Harvey saying no to potential sponsors.
And much more!