In this episode I visit with J.J. Duke and Joe Vasile. Mr. Duke is a freelance broadcaster on the east coast who has covered Fairfield University, Rider University, Yale University, and many more. He’s also a former MiLB voice and podcast co-host. Joe is the women’s basketball voice of Bucknell University, number three broadcaster for the Scranton-Wilkes-Barre Railriders and podcast co-host. Topics of discussion include:
- We dive into the shockwaves in the broadcast business from the cuts in Minor League Baseball.
- The importance of being affiliated with a Major League team.
- Will more young broadcasters have to start by working for free?
- With fewer teams will there be more resources for broadcasters?
- Will these changes accelerate the move from terrestrial radio to exclusively on streaming platforms.
- The increased importance of being versatile in performing media relations and sales type jobs to set yourself apart.
- Weird jobs they have had to do while working with Minor League teams.
- Are unorthodox broadcast themes like the Savannah Banana’s a good thing for the business?
- Starting a sportscasting podcast during the pandemic.
- The actor from The Office who Joe met working in Scranton.
The Views From The Booth Podcast can be found on all of your favorite podcast apps.