EP 048: Donny Baarns, AAA Baseball Omaha Storm Chasers
This podcast episode features Donny Baarns, the #2 Voice of the Omaha Storm Chasers, the AAA Affiliate of the Kansas City Royals. Topics of discussion include:
- Why he is actually the OG when it comes to sportscasting podcasts.
- Traveling to Alaska for his first play-by-play opportunity.
- Learning to avoid wild moose while in Alaska.
- Interviewing Sarah Palin, at the time the sitting Governor of Alaska, as his very first in game interview.
- How being a history major in college helped him develop as a broadcaster.
- Getting his break into affiliated ball with the Visalia Rawhide, the single A affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Covering future MLB star Paul Goldschmit as a minor leaguer.
- What led him to write a book about the team he covered.
- Why He stopped listening to Vin Scully.
- Building his own voice over business to make ends meet.
- His break into AAA ball.
- Why his California style works in the Midwest.
- Unique promotions in minor league baseball including a helicopter candy drop and a marriage at home plate.
- His experience with the baseball winter meetings.
- The importance of working on your weaknesses.
- Broadcast horror stories from the minor league circuit.
- Why he doesn’t create his own super detailed score book system.
- His favorite broadcasters to listen to on an off day.
- And much more!
Never miss a new SayTheDamnScore.com post by signing up for email updates
Get expert feedback on your play-by-play from the SayTheDamnScore Critique Crew!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
[…] my latest podcast with Donny Baarns, he mentioned the importance of working on your weaknesses. I couldn’t help but look back on […]