This episode features my conversation with Mike Kelly, the radio voice of Missouri Tiger football and basketball. Topics of discussion include:
- How his student station influenced his life goal from wanting to be an attorney to a becoming broadcaster.
- His experience in small town radio.’
- Working for free as a correspondent at legendary station KMOX to get a foot in the door.
- How his memory works.
- The importance of legendary St. Louis broadcasters from his youth.
- Working with the great Jack Buck.
- Working with Joe Buck calling Missouri basketball.
- How playing junior college basketball started a series of dominoes that led to his landing the Missouri job.
- The keys to his longevity at Missouri.
- Tips to painting the picture in great detail.
- Deciding what aspects of someone else’s broadcast are stealable and what you should avoid repeating.
- Dealing with fast paced no huddle offenses in football.
- Leaving full time radio in 1997 to get into the insurance business.
- The skills that translate from insurance to broadcasting.
- Our different viewpoints on one of the craziest plays he ever called in 1997.
- His broadcast horror stories.
- Who he enjoys listening to on an day off.
Never miss a new SayTheDamnScore.com post by signing up for email updates
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS